Sunday, April 25, 2010

First Nurturia meeting in Izmir




Yesterday we met with some members of the (relatively) new mommies website www.nurturia.com.tr at Kulturpark...Nurturia is kind of a Facebook/Twitter combination for mommies where you can ask questions, share ideas & info, publish your little one's pics, tweet what you're currently doing, feeling or thinking, etc.
The meeting was nice but like all meetings with little kids it was a bit tiring and also very hard to have a conversation and actually get to know the other mommies. But maybe this is also not too bad for a first meeting where you usually don't know what to talk about anyway and keep asking the same questions to everybody. I'm sure the next meeting which is planned for 19th May will be much warmer and better.
Ela was the smallest among the kids, most of them were around 1.5- 2 years of age and the oldest one was nearly 4 years old. I'm actually looking forward to when Ela will be able to play and run around with other kids but I also started to think about discipline...how to react when she starts to have tantrums, what to say and more importantly what not to say. For example, are time-outs a good tool? And how should I apply them? I know that they don't work with every kid...but I think I want to give it a try...I have to read more to figure out what kind of methods I can use concerning this matter but I know that I don't want to just go with the flow and raise Ela without setting any rules or giving her the chance to learn how to cope with negative emotions like fear, anger, frustration and so on..we chatted about this with a friend last week and she said studies show that children who learn how to deal with difficult situations when they're small (and are taken away from the situation) also tend to be better in dealing with difficult situations when they're grown-ups..
Anyways, I still have some time and should probably enjoy Ela's (yet) tantrum-free times!
Today is a quiet day..Ela's sleeping and I might rest a bit too since we woke up quite early this morning (6.15am).

No comments:

Post a Comment