Sunday, September 5, 2010

Temple Grandin: The world needs all kinds of minds



I came across Temple Grandin's name a few days ago when I read about the 2010 Emmy Award Winners. The semi-biographical TV movie "Temple Grandin" was nominated for seven awards and won five which everybody seems to agree was well deserved.
Grandin was diagnosed with autism when she was two (1949), at a time when not much was actually known about this 'disorder'. Today she is a recognized authority on animal science and she believes that being autistic helped her to understand animals better and thus enabled her to do things like building more efficient and humane slaughterhouses.
Reading a book about Asperger's Syndrome last week and now coming across this movie about autism made me think more deeply about these neurological "disorders." And I found it very interesting that although Grandin has done a lot to raise awareness about autism, "as proponent of neurodiversity, she would not support a cure of the entirety of the autistic spectrum."
In one of her statements she says, "If I could snap my fingers and become nonautistic I would not do so. Autism is part of who I am."
This statement actually supports the spiritual view that disorders like these are not really disorders but a sign that brains are in fact still evolving to help us think differently and see the world through different eyes. In one channeling I read that in a few years children will be born who are actually going to be able to use their "autistic powers" whenever they want to and then switch to a normal state when these powers are not needed.
Click here to read more about Grandin.

No comments:

Post a Comment